High school musical dating
In 1894, the South Orange, Maplewood, and Hilton school districts were consolidated and became the South Orange and Maplewood School District, with borders essentially identical to those which presently exist.
The resolution reflected "the desire of the meeting that the said school should in the future have the name of Columbian School of South Orange." The new schoolhouse was a two-story wood structure, topped by a thin steeple and a lofty weather vane. The Trustees decided "That the price of tuition in this school be fixed at $1.75 per quarter for spelling, reading and writing; for Arithmetic in addition to the above branches the sum of $0.25 cts and for Grammar or Geography the further sum of twenty-five cents." The cost of firewood was to be "divided equally among the scholars." On May 10, 1816, the Trustees adopted a seal for the school in the form of "a spread eagle standing on a globe with the word Excelsior underneath in Roman Capitals." In the early years, students at the Columbia School were not separated according to grade.The dance abandoned the restraint and refinement of waltz and polka; Bunny Hug, Turkey Trot, Fox Trot, and Shimmey began to reign." The Board of Education reacted by banning all but "polite dances" on school premises.However, the proscribed behavior persisted, and the Board then stopped all school dances.By 1828, townships had the power to tax for general school purposes.The State itself began to contribute money in 1830, and in 1846 every township was required to raise as much money each year for schools as the State itself contributed.But gradually the State began to assume a share of the financial responsibility.
In 1820, a law authorized townships to levy a tax to pay the tuition of poor students.
There was a decided reversion to animalistic excitement.
Musical rhythm from the wilds of barbarism stirred the pulse.
That continued until it became apparent that students were going to outside dances anyway and the efforts at control were abandoned.
Many students and teachers were enlisted during World War I, which had a significant effect on life at Columbia.
New York papers read by local commuters campaigned for a return to the efficiency of the "little old red schoolhouse." But the changes were here to stay.